This is one of those trophies that is extremely easy to get, but it might take you the course of the game to get it, has many parts, and requires that one character stay alive throughout the course of the game. The Wasteland Survival Guide trophy for Fallout 3 has nine different parts to it making it one of the longest quests in the game especially if you go for the bonus parts of the quest, so let’s make it a little easier for you to get this trophy.
Fallout 3 – The Wasteland Survival Guide
Completed “The Wasteland Survival Guide” – Bronze
TIP: This is probably going to be one of the first side quests that you get in the game especially since the first place you go after leaving the Vault is Megaton. Once you’re in Megaton go up to the Craterside Supply shop and talk to the shop’s owner Moira Brown. She’ll tell you that she’s writing a book but needs you as a research assistant to help her out. Agree to help her and complete the following tasks in order to finish the quest and unlock the trophy.
There are three different chapters for the book and each chapter will require you to complete three different tasks. While some of the tasks can be competed right away, others will require you to wait until you’re a higher level or have advanced a little more in the game. You’ll be given the opportunity each chapter to select which task you want to complete first and this is completely up to you since it doesn’t matter which order you do them in.
• Radiation Sickness – For this task Moira wants you to contract Radiation Sickness. Don’t worry though because lucky for you she’ll heal you after you almost kill yourself. To do this, head downstairs to where the atomic bomb is sitting in a pool of filthy water. This is the perfect place to get sick with Radiation. Stand in the water, splash around a little, and make sure to drink some of that gross water in order to fill up your Radiation meter. Once it’s at the proper level, head back upstairs to Moira and complete the task.
• Walk through a Minefield – After getting this task you’ll be provided a minefield location on your map. Head over there but save before actually making your way through the field. Once there walk around a little and try not to get blown up. Some crazy old man will start shooting at you and once the task is complete head back to Moira.
• Get Food – For this task you’ll have to head to the Super-Duper Mart marked on your map. Make sure you are packing a hell of a lot of ammo and weapons because surprise surprise the Super-Duper Mart is filled with raiders. Grab some food and make your way back to Moira to complete the task.
• Test Mole Rat Repellent – Once you’re given the location of some Mole Rats, head over to there and equip the stick that Moira gave you. Start beating the crap out of some Mole Rats until your objective is complete before heading back to Moira. While you only have to kill 3, you might as well kill all 10 because not only is it fun but you get a bonus.
• Install a Listening Device in a Mirelurk Nest – Probably the hardest out of all three tasks for chapter 2, you’ll need a lock pick skill of at least 50 or more to easily complete this task. Once you arrive to the area on your map, you’ll see a stairway leading down to a doorway. This is where the lock picking skill comes in. Going this route will save you from traversing a crazy map and you’ll only have to walk down a few flights of stairs. Kill the Mirelurks if you must, but if you don’t you get a bonus. Either way install the device and get the hell out of there to return to Moira
• Lose 50% of your health – It doesn’t matter how you do it just make sure you lose 50% of your health before heading back to Moira. Bonus points if you can go back to her with a couple of crippled limbs.
• RobCo Production Mainframe – For this task, head to RobCo Productions and install a widget in the mainframe. Easy right? No. Once you install the widget you’ll be attacked by the now hostile robots. Make sure you bring a lot of ammo with you in order to get back out of the factory. If your Science skill is high enough you can reprogram the robots, so the choice is yours. Once you’re done, head back to Moira.
• Rivet City’s History – Doing this towards the end of the game is probably your best choice. You should already have Rivet City unlocked, so just fast travel there and head to the Market during business hours. Talk to the residents to learn about the history of Rivet City. Believe what the people tell you, especially Bannon if you want to get this task done quickly, and head back to Moira to finish this task.
• Arlington Public Library – Once you accept this task, head to the marker now on your map for the Library. Once you’re there go inside and you’ll be approached by The Brotherhood of Steel. Be nice to them and they’ll let you look around. Get what you need by getting the card catalogue and if you want stay and get the whole archive. The choice is yours, so either way when you’re done head back to Moira to turn in your final task.
Extra Tip! If you don’t have the Broken Steel DLC installed, make sure you complete this quest before completing the final quest in the game. Without the DLC the game will end upon completing the final quest. Also, the easiest way to keep Moira alive is to not mess with the atomic bomb in the middle of town. Once you complete her quest, and make sure you get the other quests from Megaton out of the way too, go ahead and do whatever you want to the bomb.
Have anything additional to add to my tip? Let me know in the comments section below and I’ll add it in and give you credit. Need help with a specific trophy? I’m always looking for my next weeks tip so throw out some suggestions in the comments section. If I have the trophy I’ll post a tip on how to get it.